To advocate for planning issues with local, state, and federal elected officials and monitor, make recommendations or take positions on State and Federal legislation or regulatory actions.
Continue with the goals and objectives for 2013.
Check Out this Powerful Tool: www.openstates.org
Open States is an online application that allows anyone the ability to locate your legislator, review their votes, search upcoming legislation, and trail bill progress.
Legislative Committee includes the following:
|Richard G. Bickel, FAICP
Kurt Haussammann, AICP
| Pam Shellenberger, AICP
York County Planning Commission
| Jerry S. Walls, FAICP
Shale Energy Committee Policy
Act 13 Information
Download a PDF for more information.
Marcellus Shale Resources
- Increase presence of committee within Chapter
- Develop long term relationships with local, state, and federal elected officials
- Increase awareness of and responsiveness to pending state legislation and policy issues that are of importance to planners.
- Increase awareness of planning among the State Legislative Community, including the Governor’s Office, state legislators, agencies, staff, the media and local government and development-related organizations.
- Develop policy positions and legislative proposals for consideration by the APA PA Board and the General Assembly.
- Take the lead to advocate planning interests in Pennsylvania.
- Engage student planners in the committee’s activities and in the legislative process
- Develop and maintain an active committee with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Maintain and expand current partnerships and coalitions of support with various organizational and institutional partners.
- Develop focus areas and develop subcommittees based on focus areas.
- Report what the committee is doing to the APA PA Board and membership through website and the Chapter newsletter.
- Hire a well qualified consultant to monitor and report on legislative activity.
- Recruit new members.
- Maintain a set officers including Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, and Student Representative
- Host an annual legislative breakfast.
- Host an annual Day on Capitol Hill Event
- Have six meetings per year (two in person and four via conference call)
- If bylaws are approved by Board in December, Chair will be a member of the PA APA Board and attend meetings
- Chair/committee member will visit Chapter sections to provide committee updates
- Attend APA’s annual Federal Policy and Program Briefing in Washington, DC