AICP Certification Maintenance Credit
Certification Maintenance (CM) strengthens the value of your AICP certification, demonstrating your ongoing commitment to excellence to elected officials, community leaders, and employers. AICPs must earn 32 credits for approved training over a 2 year cycle, including 1.5 credits for law and 1.5 credits for ethics. There are multiple opportunities to earn CM credit, including free webcast courses, an on-going CM lending library, the PA Chapter’s annual conference, and other events. For a full listing of CM training available in Pennsylvania, visit the AICP CM Opportunities list. For additional information on the CM program, visit APA’s AICP website section.
Download the helpful CM Tips from the Professional Development Committee. Includes a list of opportunities for earning credits and how-to for logging credits in APA’s online system.
CM Programs provided by the PA Chapter of APA
Trying to remember the date or name of a CM program you attended? Check these lists by year for CM programs provided by the PA Chapter. Then search in the CM logging system by provider (APA, Pennsylvania Chapter) or date for the program.
- Members are responsible for reporting their credits using APA’s online CM log at www.planning.org.
- When attending CM activities, plan to stay for the scheduled event duration to earn your credits.
- PA Chapter of APA is a registered CM provider. CM pending activities will appear on the PA Chapter events calendar.
- Exemptions for CM may be granted for retirement, unemployment, foreign practice, and personal hardship. For more information got to www.planning.org/cm.
- Lapsed AICPs may apply for reinstatement through a process established by APA. See the APA website for additional information.
- For the most current information on AICP renewal, Certification Maintenance (CM) credits, AICP publications, and other useful news and information, visit www.planning.org/aicp.
Opportunities to Earn CM Credits
At the state level we are working to assist PA planners in meeting their required 32 credits with minimal costs. A variety of options are currently available, some at little or no cost. We will continue to seek out and publicize additional CM activities:
- PA Chapter Annual Conference
An important source of training opportunities including 10-13 CM credits and required credits for law and ethics.
- AICP CM Opportunities web page
Be sure to check this page on our website frequently. We are continually publishing new CM activities. Most importantly, we include CM Pending events unlike the APA website.
- Monthly Webcasts
PA Chapter has partnered with other APA chapters and divisions to bring you a series of FREE CM webcasts, a limited number are available as distance learning. Earn free CM credits from your computer. See the Utah Chapter website for the full schedule and latest information.
- PA Chapter Lending Library
Study at your own pace. 6 CD programs available at $10.00 rental fee per program, including law and ethics programs. Programs earn a range of 1-2.25 CM credits.
APA continues to respond to member concerns and offer affordable options to earn CM credits. The APA website (www.planning.org) now includes a webpage dedicated to free CM training, currently including more than 25 credits. Click here: http://planning.org/cm/free/
- Distance Learning Opportunities
APA also offers members distance learning opportunities to gain their law and ethics credit requirements. Currently available:
- Ethical Practice for Practicing Planners (CM | 2.0, $49.95)
- Hot Topics in Planning Law (CM | 3.0, $99.95)
- Online courses can be accessed at http://professional.captus.com/Planning/Default.aspx
APA has introduced two Advanced Specialty Certifications, in Transportation Planning and Environmental Planning. Please visit the APA website for the most current information.
For questions about your CM Log and requirements to renew your AICP Certification, please contact Certification Maintenance Customer Service at APA:
t: (202) 872-0611