- This event has passed.
Fit City PHL
May 20, 2015 @ 8:30 am - 1:00 pm
Fit City PHL is a half-day symposium designed to explore the concept of active design, and strategies for improving health by promoting physical activity and healthy eating. It will bring together architects, planners, designers, landscape architects, developers, and public health professionals to learn about how our environment can have a positive impact on the negative health trends our communities are currently facing – particularly obesity and other chronic conditions.
Date: May 20, 2015
Time: 8:30am – 1:00pm
Location: Public Health Management Corporation
1500 Market Street
Centre Square East – Lower Mezzanine
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Cost: $25 for professionals, $15 for students
Professional Credits: APA AICP CM credits and 2.45 AIA/CES (HSW) LUs pending
Fit City PHL Agenda
8:30 a.m. Coffee and light breakfas
9:00 a.m. Opening remarks from Rebecca Johnson, Executive Director, American Institute of Architects Philadelphia Chapter
9:15 a.m. Defining active design
The Center for Active Design will join Fit City PHL to discuss its groundbreaking work translating health research into design strategies that promote access to physical activity and healthy eating. Primary topics to be discussed include:
- An overview of active design concepts and strategies,
- Implementation efforts and lessons learned in New York City, and
- Case studies from communities around the United States, including Philadelphia.
10:30 a.m. Working together to create healthy communities
Using the lens of active design, a panel of local experts representing public health, planning, and architecture will participate in a lively discussion illustrating the collaborative nature of building healthy communities. To facilitate understanding of these diverse but related professions, panelists will participate in a moderated discussion exploring their respective areas of expertise and roles in facilitating or implementing active design strategies.
Richard Cohen, CEO of Public Health Management Corporation, will moderate the panel, which will include:
- Vanessa Briggs, Executive Director, Health Promotion Council & Managing Director, Public Health Management Corporation
- Keith Davis, Healthy Communities Coordinator, Philadelphia City Planning Commission
- Cassidy Boulan, Transportation Planner, Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- Adam Supplee, Principal, KMS Design Group, LLC
- Kiki Bolender, Principal, Bolender Architects
12:00 p.m. Wrap-Up and closing remarks from Barry Seymour, Executive Director, Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
Stay for lunch and make connections that will help us to build healthier communities together.