- This event has passed.
Community Heart & Soul Workshop
May 11, 2015
Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the Orton Family Foundation present…
An Introduction to Community Heart & Soul
The Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the Orton Family Foundation have partnered to bring you a day-long workshop on Community Heart & Soul™, a resident-driven approach to community planning and development. The goal is to increase participation in local decision-making, helping residents shape the future of their towns. Together with the tools of the humanities, Heart & Soul is designed to help residents steer change based on what matters most to them. In rural communities and small cities that have used the Heart & Soul method, it has been a catalyst for change sparking downtown revitalization and local arts initiatives and informing transformative economic development and comprehensive plans. Community Heart & Soul reconnects people with what matters most about their town and translates those personal and emotional connections into a blueprint for economic and community decisions.
PHC or Orton will host Community Heart & Soul workshops across the state from May 11-13
May 11 in Montgomery County
May 13 in Harrisburg
May 15 in Westmoreland County
to highlight effective civic engagement practices grounded in the humanities-based Heart & Soul method and provide more information on PHC’s next round of Civic Engagement grants available later this spring.
Bring a team of leaders from your community to:
- Learn about Community Heart & Soul—how the humanities are central to its process, how it’s done as well as the long-term benefits and short-term challenges
- Examine your community’s readiness to bring Heart & Soul to your town
- Use the humanities to tell the story of your town
- Identify next steps that you can take toward strengthening your community’s social networks
- Learn about resources and grant opportunities to support your local efforts through the Pennsylvania Humanities Council and others
For more information and to register contact Jennifer Danifo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-925-1005, ext 110.