Practice Leader – Planning & Urban Design Studio – 10+ years of experience
Stromberg Garrigan & Associates, Inc., (SGA) (www.s-ga.com) is seeking a highly experienced planner and urban designer with more than ten years of experience to serve as the Practice Leader for our Planning & Urban Design Studio. Our ideal candidate has a proven track record of successfully overseeing all aspects of urban design and redevelopment projects for the public and private sectors, with extensive knowledge of community planning processes and public engagement strategies. Additional qualities include acting as a leader who can provide strategic direction, business development as well as expertise in practice management and oversight. The successful candidate will bring a passion and verve to our team and be responsible for leading the practice and fostering excellent client relations.
SGA is a multi-disciplinary landscape architecture and urban design firm. Our firm is a national leader in urban and community revitalization specializing in urban and brownfields redevelopment planning with projects located across the U.S. SGA projects are diverse, ranging from major urban centers including the Cities of New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, to smaller cities and towns located throughout the East Coast, Midwest, and Mountain regions. Project sectors include mixed-use and urban infill development, resiliency and blue/green infrastructure, waterfront revitalization, and parks and public spaces.
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Philadelphia, PA
• Norfolk, VA
• Inspiring and leading staff and others by example, participating in staff mentoring and training, clearly defining team member expectations and responsibilities, empowering others, and delegating where appropriate based on team members’ recognized abilities and potential.
• Developing and shaping the firm’s talent strategy to recruit top talent and future professionals for the firm.
• Demonstrating leadership in the implementation and execution of projects to meet and exceed client’s goals and expectations.
• Ability to work remotely as needed, successfully lead projects and manage staff, and support other needs of the firm.
• Serving as Project Manager and as the lead contact with clients.
• Serving clients, project teams, and staff in support of project implementation; ensure timely, cost effective, high-quality service, and product delivery.
• Overseeing presentational development, technical documentation, and reports and setting the visual graphic design vocabulary for the firm’s work.
• Leading client and public presentations, workshops, and meetings.
• Collaborating on proposals and business development activities.
• Overseeing, managing, and mentoring staff.
• Working with principals and staff in multiple offices to support and contribute to project design work from master planning to design efforts.
• AICP certification is required.
• Bachelor’s degree (minimum) with a Master’s level degree (preferred) in City and Regional Planning or Urban Design. It is desirable, but not necessary, for candidates to also hold a degree(s) in architecture or landscape architecture.
• Experience with urban planning and civic design.
• Experience working with non-profit clients, community groups, government clients, and private clients.
• Demonstrated experience in facilitating/managing projects.
• Demonstrated experience with graphic design and major document preparation/production.
• Demonstrated experience in preparing proposals.
• Periodic and multi-day travel to site locations and to facilitate public engagement programs.
• English fluency (writing, speaking).
• Demonstrated excellence in writing, presentation, and verbal communication/public speaking skills.
• Extensive experience preparing and assembling presentations and report/plan document preparation and assembly.
• High proficiency in ESRI ArcGIS, Google Earth Pro, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and MS Office. (It is desirable that applicants have a high proficiency in all or most software packages listed in order to properly manage and mentor staff).
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, AutoCAD 3D map, Sketch Up Pro (for urban designers).
• Experience using Microsoft project, Microsoft Access, virtual whiteboard software platforms, synchronous and asynchronous virtual public engagement and presentation tools, and virtual survey tools.
• Portfolio samples of work should illustrate the candidate’s strength of understanding in graphic and written presentation as well as software and hand drawing/sketching/drafting proficiencies.
Candidates should submit cover letter, resume, portfolio, and/or samples of graphic and written work to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the position (Practice Leader – Planning & Urban Design Studio) and the office location you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Phone inquiries are not accepted.
Learn more here.