The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission is seeking a Transportation Planner – Public Involvement Specialist to lead public involvement activities in the regional transportation planning process. Organized self-starter leads the administration of the Public Participation Panels (Panels), including communications, membership appointments and meeting facilitation. This person serves as the liaison with the Panels, SPC member government staff and planning partners such as PennDOT, FHWA, FTA, municipalities, transit providers, etc. This role leads the agency’s public participation process, including the Panels, public review and comment periods, public meetings and meeting notices, and public comment and participation reports. Creates and disseminates agency social media, video and other media content messaging. Supports website maintenance/updates. Designs and conducts public input survey research. Facilitates public meetings, workshops, open houses, focus groups and webcast meetings. Applies federal and state transportation planning regulations in the development of communications concerning the agency’s program activity internally and externally via oral and written communications.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Mass Media, Marketing, Public Affairs, Regional/Urban Planning, or other closely related field required. Masters degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in a regional council/metropolitan planning organization and/or public involvement/public affairs experience, including meeting and group discussion facilitation.
- General computer skills with particular skill in social media, video production, spreadsheets, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress and the ability to learn new software applications.
- Foreign language skill helpful.
- Local travel and evening/weekend hours required occasionally. Valid PA driver’s license required.
Position is open until filled.
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com.