Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission (SPC) in Pittsburgh, the region’s metropolitan planning organization, seeks a Transportation Planner/Public Administration Professional to assist with the development, implementation, and administration of transportation programs within the Transportation Planning Department. Position reports to the Program Development Manager.
- Assists with the development, implementation and administration of various planning initiatives.
- Maintains files of program activity data for governmental and private sectors.
- Researches, compiles, and coordinates technical, financial and policy area data.
- Plans, makes preparation for, and staffs both technical and specialty meetings.
- Processes and summarizes input and communications for possible inclusion in the transportation plan and program development.
- Apply federal and state transportation planning regulations to the development of SPC programs and assist in communicating the agency’s related transportation program activity to SPC members, the public, PennDOT officials, and other stakeholders.
- Attend individual transportation project planning meetings and/or project scoping field views and prepare to discuss various planning, funding, and community elements of specific transportation projects with, county officials, municipal officials, and PennDOT officials.
- Assemble, extract, and analyze transportation data needed for the development of specialty areas within the region’s short and long-term planning processes.
- Coordinate transportation-related corridor planning studies in the region – collaborating with county officials, municipal officials, PennDOT officials, consultant staff, and stakeholders.
- Provide technical support and expertise to member jurisdictions with transportation planning elements of comprehensive planning and system needs identification.
- Assist with analysis aimed at assessing the sustainability and resiliency of the region’s transportation infrastructure.
- Assist with development and screening of candidate projects for SPC transportation programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/skills and abilities:
- Requires Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Public Administration, Engineering or other closely related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in planning, public administration or transportation planning preferred.
- Must have exceptional communication, organization, and analytical skills.
- Must have computer skills including proficiency in conducting data analysis in Microsoft Excel.
- Working knowledge of GIS applications a plus.
- Familiarity with transportation and socioeconomic data.
- Knowledge of transportation study methodologies and applications.
- Email letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer
- SPC provides competitive compensation, including an excellent benefits package, flex time, mileage reimbursement, holiday/vacation pay and more.