The world is rapidly changing, and the design industry is uniquely poised to improve the health of communities through strategic planning and thoughtful design. RK&K’s Healthy Communities Team is focusing on being a positive, supportive force in this new environment. We are hiring a new teammate who is enthusiastic about active transportation, site design, and public engagement.
As an Active Transportation Planner you will work from our beautiful Baltimore, MD office directly with our Healthy Communities Team Leaders onsite and collaborate with teams across all of our nationwide offices. You will prepare active transportation plans, bicycle and pedestrian studies, corridor studies, complete streets plans, and trail feasibility studies for a variety of project scales.
- Produce professional active transportation documents, tools and presentations to be used for customer and public engagement ie. Committees, member agencies, working groups, community groups, private organizations and various members of the public.
- Develop, prepare, implement diverse range of active transportation projects
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team on projects ranging from concept to construction
- Demonstrate creativity and critical thinking in solving complex transportation challenges
- Research funding mechanisms for active transportation programs through local, state, and federal grants; participate in grant proposals; coordinate the submission of funding applications for project delivery, prioritization, and implementation steps
- Support project managers in crafting meeting materials, completing meeting minutes and public input summaries, drafting recommendations, and developing final plan documents
- Enjoy working with the public and engaging communities through a variety of avenues including pop-up events, open houses, and workshops
- 5-7 years of progressive experience in active transportation planning
- Must have a portfolio and work samples
- Graphics Design – Must be proficient to above average in Adobe Creative Suite â€“ InDesign report development, rendering, illustration etc.
- Demonstrated technical and non-technical professional writing
- Demonstrated knowledge of transportation design fundamentals
Required Education and Certification
- BS in Urban & Regional Planning, Transportation Engineering, or related field
- Familiar with design guidelines (ie. AASHTO, NACTO, FHWA, ITE, MUTCD, ADA, etc.)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Certified Planner or commensurate experience in Active Transportation field – AICP preferred
- GIS analysis skills and cartography â€“ crash data, demographics
- Way finding and signage design/placement
- Publications, Documentation, and Presentation in the Active Transportation field
- Masters Degree in related field
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
RK&K maintains a drug-free workplace. Employees of RK&K are prohibited from engaging in the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana
RK&K ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information, require special assistance for persons with disabilities, or limited English proficiency, you may contact Human Resources at (410)728-2900.