The Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) is located in a diverse and historic suburban community of over 850,000 people located directly northwest of Philadelphia. The county is home to a variety of communities, including revitalizing boroughs and villages as well as scenic, rural townships. We are an award-winning agency with a well-earned reputation as an innovator of cutting edge planning concepts and strategies. Our mission is to provide professional planning services that provide effective solutions to community challenges. We are looking for an outgoing, technically proficient, and highly motivated individual to join our dynamic team of professional planners.
POSITION TITLE: SENIOR GIS COORDINATOR
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING COMMISSION
POSITION REPORTING: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SALARY RANGE: $64,471 – $72,018 (depending on experience)
REMOTE WORK ELIGIBLE: FLEXIBLE/HYBRID
SUMMARY: The employee in this position compiles and accurately maintains current municipal or county-wide geographic information systems (GIS) to facilitate planning analysis and decision making. The employee also creates map products and interactive GIS applications for county planning staff and other departments. The Senior GIS Coordinator also assigns and monitors the work of the entire GIS section while being the main point of contact
between the Planning Commission and the county GIS Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES shall include the following:
- Develops and maintains elements of the county GIS
- Develops GIS map products and applications to assist planners in better analyzing or displaying spatial data
- Coordinates with the Information Technology Services Department to address computer hardware or software issues pertaining to ArcGIS
- Trains staff about ArcGIS
- Distributes GIS data purchased from the county
- Coordinates with the County GIS Manager
- Assigns all GIS work products and monitors their quality and effectiveness
- Reports to Planning Commission management on project and department status
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential and specific duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s degree in Geography or equivalent and 5 years of GIS experience or a 4-year college degree with 7 years of GIS experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary for the position
- GISP certification preferred
- Competency in all enterprise ESRI software, including ArcPro, ArcGIS online, and ESRI applications such as Web Experiences and Storymaps
- Proficiency working with Python, SDE (Spatial Database Engine) and SQL (Structured Query Language)
- Ability to perform GIS data conversion/editing, GIS map production, spatial database management, and spatial analysis/reporting tasks.
- Strong understanding of GIS concepts and spatial data.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete long and short-term projects
- Ability to maintain excellent documentation and records
- Knowledge of essential professional office computer software to perform word processing, and presentations.
- Experience in the management of work flow for multiple staff members in the GIS section
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. Walking is required in field conditions with uneven terrain to perform site visits, acquire information, and perform inspections or to attend meetings. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel objects. The employee is also required to kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception. The employee must be able to drive to various locations during the day or night and attend meetings that may last several hours.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TO APPLY ONLINE: Go to https://www.montcopa.org/Jobs.aspx – fill out the application form under the job posting. Please submit a cover letter with your application