Michael Baker International’s Harrisburg, PA office is seeking an experienced Senior Community and Economic Development Planner to support the firm’s dynamic and ever growing planning practice.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and delivering a diverse portfolio of technically challenging community planning and economic development projects for our public and private clients. The successful candidate will also be responsible for coordinating and collaborating with Michael Baker’s national network of planning and engineering experts located in various offices throughout the United States to help promote and deliver the firm’s community planning and economic development services.
The Senior Community and Economic Development Planner position reports to the Harrisburg Office Planning Director and will perform the following typical functions:
• Manages and performs advanced professional work related to variety of complex planning assignments on a local, county, regional, and statewide basis
• Conducts research and prepares written technical reports on land use planning/zoning, transportation planning, environmental planning, urban design, housing, historic preservation, hazard mitigation, and economic development
• Collaboratively evaluates and identifies opportunities for new and emerging broadband telecommunication technologies and applications
• Conduct meetings with public officials, citizens, and project stakeholders
• Assists with the firm’s marketing and business development efforts to include proposal development and interview presentations
• Supervises more junior planners within organization
The successful candidate will entail the following knowledge and capability characteristics:
• Well-developed knowledge of one or more planning disciplines, such as land use planning/zoning, transportation planning, environmental planning, urban design, housing, historic preservation, or economic development
• Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection
• Experience with computer programs and applications, which may include Microsoft Office, ESRI GIS, Internet applications, econometric modeling, and database management
• Ability to conduct research and prepare technical planning reports
• Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting reports and projects
• Strong critical thinking and analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well as in multi-disciplinary teams
• Ability to accommodate moderate travel including a valid driver’s license
• 5-10 years of experience
• Bachelors or Masters degree in planning, urban design, or related field
• American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) required
• Microsoft Office Suite, with proficiencies in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Access. Data analytics and management is a key skill set
Learn more here.