Who is Michael Baker International? Why would I want to work there?
Michael Baker International provides engineering and consulting services for government, private and commercial partners, assisting in planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our employees demonstrate a world-class ability to solve complex problems. As a company, We Make a Difference.
Why do we do what we do; why is it important?
For most of us, it’s because it enables us to have a direct and meaningful impact on the communities and environment in which we live and serve. Across the continuum of our expertise and projects, our work: transforms the world; enables economies; creates healthier and more engaging cities and neighborhoods; and engineers, plans and designs the very infrastructure that sustains and improves our world. Simply stated, the work we do everyday matters. We Make a Difference every day with every engagement.
About Harrisburg: The Harrisburg area is consistently ranked as one of the top 35 places to live by U.S. News and World Report. Harrisburg is located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley and is 1 hour and 30 minutes from Baltimore and Philadelphia and 3 hours from Pittsburgh (Michael Baker’s Headquarters), Washington D.C., and New York City.
So what does a Transportation Planner at Michael Baker International do?
Michael Baker International is seeking a Transportation Planner to play a key role in planning and managing transportation projects throughout Pennsylvania and the nation. The ideal candidate possesses a strong interest and working knowledge of all transportation modes. The Transportation Planner will work in a fast-paced environment with a dynamic team of professionals that focus on making a difference and delivering value.
Can you walk me through a typical day of a Transportation Planner?
The duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supervisory responsibilities to direct reports and assigning various production tasks to staff.
- Collecting and compiling a variety of quantitative and qualitative data to prepare reports, maps, and related graphics.
- Conferring with local authorities, civic leaders, and development specialists to devise and recommend arrangements of land and physical facilities for residential, commercial, industrial, and other urban uses.
- Conducting field evaluations and assessments.
- Researching requirements and standards.
- Developing reports under the direction of the project manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Could you be the Transportation Planner we are looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field. Master’s Degree desired but not required.
3+ years of direct or related transportation planning experience.
- AICP desired, but not mandatory.
- Knowledge of one or more planning disciplines, such as transportation planning, policy analysis, highway finance, bicycle/pedestrian planning, training, or land use.
- Ability to conduct research and prepare statistical planning reports on land use, physical, social & economic possibilities, and constraints.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting planning reports and projects.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well as in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience with the Microsoft Suite of programs, as well as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, and ESRI ArcGIS.
- Ability to accommodate moderate travel.