So what does a Senior Planner at Michael Baker International do?
This Senior Planner will join a collaboration of experienced planners, landscape architects, and project managers dedicated to having a positive impact through effective planning. The ideal candidate will be driven, intellectually curious, committed to excellence, and demonstrate a desire to make a difference in the communities we serve. The Senior Planner’s primary responsibilities include:
- Executing and leading hands-on production efforts on a wide range of planning projects
- Providing direct support to project managers
- Directly interacting with clients, stakeholders, and the general public
- Mentoring junior staff, and supporting marketing and business development efforts
- Identifying new opportunities and assisting in the positioning for and ultimately securing the opportunity
Can you walk me through a typical day of a Senior Planner?
The Senior Planner will have a number of activities on any given day which include:
- Supporting the facilitation of planning charrettes for clients as a member of a facilitation team
- Supporting master plan development, urban design, and revitalization projects of varying sizes and complexities in diverse communities
- Supervisory responsibilities to direct reports and assigning various production tasks to staff
Collecting and compiling a variety of quantitative and qualitative data to prepare reports, maps, and related graphics
- Conferring with local authorities, civic leaders, and development specialists to devise and recommend arrangements of land and physical facilities for residential, commercial, industrial, and other urban uses
- Conducting field evaluations and assessments
- Researching requirements and standards
- Developing reports under the direction of the project manager
- Other duties as assigned
What can I expect for a career path, and where might this role take me?
- There are numerous career paths for a Senior Planner. The typical next level position, as you gain more experience, showing commitment to quality and hard work, can either be a Project Management or Technical Management position.
Could you be the Senior Planner we are looking for?
- Four-year degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or related discipline
- Minimum 7-10 years of municipal/local government planning related experience that demonstrate a successive increase in experience and responsibilities
- AICP or other related professional certification or licensure
- Knowledge of one or more planning disciplines, such as master planning, urban planning, community planning, economic development, or land use
- Ability to conduct research and prepare statistical planning reports on land use, physical, social & economic possibilities, and constraints
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting planning reports and projects
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well as in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, Google Sketchup, and ESRI ArcGIS
- Hand or computer generated graphic skills such as creating displays, project boards, maps, and other graphics that help communicate planning ideas and concepts
- Ability to accommodate moderate travel
- Valid driver’s license