This is a highly responsible supervisory and administrative position involving planning, land development, zoning, economic development and community development. The Assistant Director of Planning assists the Director of Building and Planning with staff supervision, coordination with other departments, and with meetings/presentations with developers, the public, Township Advisory Boards and the Board of Commissioners.
Work involves responsibility for coordinating Planning, Economic Development and Community Development staff in day to day land development review, long range planning and special projects and also assisting with departmental budgeting and personnel supervision. Work also involves attending evening meetings with Township Advisory Boards and community groups.
This position also provides assistance to the Director of Building and Planning in the development and implementation of policies, programs, practices and procedures required to lead and manage the Building and Planning Department.
- A Bachelors’ degree in City and Regional Planning, Public Administration or related degree from a recognized college or university, plus eight to ten years of progressively responsible planning administration experience including at least four years in a supervisory capacity, or an equivalent combination of education and qualifying experience. A Master’s Degree in City and Regional Planning, Public Administration or related discipline preferred.
- Substantial knowledge of functions, services and established principals of municipal planning and municipal government.
- Ability to read and interpret engineered land development drawings and schematics projects such as, but not limited to, site plans, building and lighting schematics, landscape plans, storm water and erosion plans, street design and layout.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, communication and presentation skills.
- Thorough ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, supervisors, associates, subordinates, union representatives, contractors, elected officials and the public.
- Ability to plan, develop and assist in the implementation of programs for the department.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Word, ArcGIS, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook software.
- Considerable ability to administer policies and procedures and to perform planning, scheduling, budgeting, decision making and report development and writing.
- Good knowledge of the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code.
- Ability to analyze, prioritize, organize and problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise the activities of employees, lead people and get results through others.
- Must have a valid class C driver’s license.
- Based on merit, experience, training, education, writing samples, test scores and pre-employment background checks.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume and application to:
Department of Human Resources
Township of Lower Merion, Second Floor
75 E. Lancaster Avenue
Ardmore, PA 19003
Deadline is August 14, 2020.