The Lehigh Valley Planning Commission (LVPC) and Lehigh Valley Transportation Study (LVTS) is seeking an individual with Geographic Information Systems and City/County/Regional Planning skills and an interest in applying them to metropolitan planning efforts.
The Senior Geographic Information Systems Planner will have significant responsibilities in comprehensive, long-range planning, spatial analytics, and predictive modeling and leads these operations within the LVPC. This position works under limited supervision, as part of the LVPC Team to coordinate the region’s Geographic Information System (GIS), prepare maps and databases, conduct a variety of geospatial and economic analyses, develop predictive models and initiate, monitor and oversee planning projects. The LVPC’s philosophy is always to begin with fact-based optimism, making the Senior Geographic Information Systems Planner’s roll particularly important to the organization and Region. Reports to the Director of Transportation Planning and Data and collaborates, coordinates and facilitates discussions, projects and presentations.
- Expertise in GIS principles, applications and database development.
- Expertise in ArcGIS, ArcGIS Extensions, ArcGIS Online, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst and other extensions as applicable.
- Expertise in professional city, county and/or regional planning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the use of GIS to manage, manipulate, model and represent data.
- Experience with researching and acquiring geospatial, census, demographic and other data.
- Understanding of principles, methods, and tools used to perform data analysis.
- Familiarity with of Federal, State and local laws, codes, regulations and current issues in community planning.
- Trained in thematic cartography and geographic visualization.
- Knowledge of land surveying techniques.
- Knowledge of project management techniques.
- Knowledge and ability to promote safe work practices and ensure compliance with LVPC safety policies.
- Ability to efficiently coordinate multiple projects.
- Thorough experience researching, collecting, sorting, and manipulating data for database development.
- Capability to independently conduct research, write technical reports and incorporate analysis into planning documents and presentations.
- Skill in communicating clearly and concisely, orally, in writing and in graphic work.
- Articulate customer service skills.
- Desire and ability to learn new software and systems such as REMI, Cube 3.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with consultants, employees and the public.
- Ambition to actively participate in and give back to the planning/GIS profession through the American Planning Association, Urban Land Institute, US Green Building Council, and/or other associated GIS professionals networks, etc.
Only e-mail submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org will be accepted and must include:
- Current resume detailing your education and experience.
- Portfolio or links to work that demonstrates your skills and abilities.
- Letter of interest describing how you meet the qualifications for this position and why you would like to be considered. Please address this letter to, Becky Bradley, AICP, Executive Director, Lehigh Valley Planning Commission, 961 Marcon Blvd, Suite 310, Allentown, PA 18109.
- Minimum of three (3) professional references with contact information.
Position open until filled. Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately.