General Summary: This a professional position directed towards community development and local land use planning.
Supervision Received and Exercised: Receives administrative direction from the Director of the Planning and Community Development Department.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists with administration of County Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, including but not limited to Environmental Reviews, assembling bid documents, assisting with Integrated Disbursement and Information System (IDIS)
- Assist with implementation of all County plans including but not limited to the Lawrence County Comprehensive Plan, Greenways Plan and Affordable Housing Plan
- Provides technical assistance to municipalities on, but not limited to, subdivisions, zoning, storm water, parks and recreation, and grant administration
- Assist with subdivision reviews and zoning change reviews
- Production of reports and plans
- Dissemination of information on demographics, floodplains, and zoning districts
- Attends Planning Commission meetings
- Provides technical information regarding the functions, procedures and operations of the department
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of geographic information systems
- Understanding of land use, planning and environmental laws, local government, land/community development review procedures, record keeping systems, and report writing
- Ability to use computer applications for word processing, database applications, spreadsheets, internet, and computer mapping
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, state, regional, and local officials, and the general public
- Ability to multi-task, follow detailed instructions and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Availability to attend conferences and meetings out of the county, some requiring overnight stays
- Availability to attend day and evening meetings in the twenty-seven municipalities, as needed
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental, community, rural, regional or natural resource planning or a related field
- Proficiency with QuickBooks and Microsoft Programs
- Degree supplemented by at least five years of previous experience/training involving environmental, land use or natural resource planning or a similar field
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities for this position
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Moderate physical activity
- May require physical effort including lifting to 25 pounds
- May be required to sit, stand, or walk for extended periods of time
- Occasional travel
- Exposure to computer screen
- Possession of a valid driver’s license may be required.
The statements here in are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of personnel so classified.