The Economic Development Manager will play a key role in advancing economic development and driving positive outcomes in the City of Lancaster by providing direct support to small businesses and real estate developers, among others, through the delivery of relevant expertise and vital financial assistance tools. The Economic Development Manager will aid in the administration of, and provide critical logistical support for, the successful implementation of Lancaster City Alliance’s various economic development programs including the Building On Strength Economic Development Strategic Plan (BOS) and City Revitalization and Investment Zone (CRIZ) administration.
Lancaster City Alliance is a private 501(c)(3), and this new position will report to the organization’s Director of Community & Economic Development.
General Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Work closely with the President and Director of Community & Economic Development to facilitate the implementation of “Building On Strength,” the Lancaster City Alliance-developed and -led Economic Development Strategic Plan for the City of Lancaster, to include coordination with plan stakeholders and advisory groups; data collection and management to measure implementation progress; business recruitment, outreach, and retention; supporting the advancement of real estate development projects; and other relevant activities.
- Serve as key liaison on the team and provide direct support to small businesses and assist in addressing their needs, including connecting to Cultivate Lancaster Entrepreneurship Coalition resource provider organizations and financing partners, to promote a strong small business environment in the City.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the organization’s key economic development programs and an ability to communicate the programs’ guidelines and requirements to prospective applicants.
- Provide administrative support for the organization’s key economic development programs including the City Revitalization & Improvement Zone (CRIZ) Program, Keystone Innovation Zone (KIZ) Program, Downtown Investment District, and Façade Improvement Grant Program in coordination with the Director of Community & Economic Development.
- Represent LCA at various meetings and activities as needed.
- Provide direct administrative support for the CRIZ Program, including: processing of application fees, application materials, etc.; assist prospective CRIZ Small Business Financial Assistance Program Grant and Loan applicants with navigating the application process in collaboration with loan underwriting partner EDC Finance Corporation; draft correspondence to applicants and beneficiaries of CRIZ financial assistance; among other responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the Community Engagement Manager to provide support for the Façade Improvement Grant Program, including management and tracking of projects and accounting support to include processing of matching funds and payments to contractors.
- Manage the Keystone Innovation Zone (KIZ) Program, including recruiting new businesses top participate and assist participating businesses with compliance.
- Serve as primary lead working with prospective small businesses looking to locate in the City, working as a liaison between the business and property owners/real estate brokers to find commercial space and coordinating access to financial resources.
- Work with Director of Community & Economic Development and Director of Communications to develop promotional materials for the organization’s key economic development programs, including development of written content/narrative.
- Assist Director of Community & Economic Development with tracking, monitoring, and analysis of data and statistics as outlined in Building On Strength to measure progress of plan implementation as well as track data and information to gauge the health of City neighborhoods and the impact of LCA activities.
- Assist with leading, managing, and coordinating, as needed, activities for the organization’s advisory and action-oriented groups including, but not limited to, Banker’s Briefings, Finance Squad, and City Transportation Roundtables.
- Maintain and frequently update Lancaster City Alliance’s existing inventory of property ownership, uses, and vacancies for Downtown and the City’s Commercial Hubs.
- Establish, build, and maintain close working relationships with community contacts, business and property owners, commercial real estate brokers, government officials, economic development partner organizations, and others to advance economic development efforts to maintain Lancaster City Alliance’s reputation as a “trusted steward.”
- Educate the community – particularly small businesses, property owners, and other community stakeholders – about Lancaster City Alliance and its roles and responsibilities.
- A genuine love for the City of Lancaster.
- Bachelor’s degree in community development, urban planning, economic development, real estate development, and/or a related field. Master’s degree in these fields or a related field a plus.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in, and a solid understanding of, urban planning, economic development, real estate development, and/or a related field.
- Experience working with the government and the general public.
- Experience in program administration/project management, including planning, budgeting, and marketing.
- Understanding of small business needs and basic finance and economics principles.
- Ability to communicate complex information and lead discussions/meetings as necessary.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Research and data collection/management capabilities.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to work independently.
- Spanish-language writing and/or speaking capabilities a plus.
- GIS experience a plus.