Salary: $60,000 – 70,000
The Assistant Director of Community Development position duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Department Administration
- Assist in the administration of the daily operation of the Community Development Department including the efficiency and accountability therein.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Department staff in the absence of the Director
- Participate in committee work for the department and/or Township as deemed appropriate by the
- Department Director, Township Manager and/or Board of Supervisors.
- Provide other services and perform other tasks as requested or assigned by the Department
- Director, Township Manager and/or Board of Supervisors.
Residential Building Inspection:
- Assist the Director in developing and implementing effective code enforcement strategies and policies to ensure compliance with local ordinances and building codes.
- Support the supervision and coordination of code enforcement staff, including inspectors, to maintain consistent enforcement practices and resolve violations in a timely manner.
- Conduct inspections and investigations, issue citations, and assist in initiating legal proceedings when necessary to address code violations.
- Collaborate with other departments to address code-related issues and maintain community standards.
- Collaborate with the Director in developing and updating the municipality’s comprehensive community plan to guide future growth and development.
- Engage with community stakeholders, such as residents, businesses, and neighborhood associations, to gather input and ensure their needs are considered in the planning process.
- Assist in conducting research and analysis to identify community development opportunities, trends, and challenges.
- Support the preparation and presentation of reports, recommendations, and presentations to municipal officials and planning commissions.
- Support the Director in managing the municipality’s zoning regulations and land-use ordinances to ensure consistency with the community plan.
- Assist in reviewing and evaluating zoning change requests, conditional use permits, variances, and development proposals.
- Provide guidance and assistance to property owners, developers, and contractors regarding zoning requirements and procedures.
- Assist in representing the municipality in zoning hearings and meetings, presenting information and recommendations to the zoning board and other relevant bodies.
- Collaborate with the Director in developing and enforcing property maintenance standards to preserve community aesthetics and property values.
- Assist in monitoring and addressing issues related to blight, vacant properties, and other maintenance concerns.
- Support coordination with property owners, neighborhood organizations, and nonprofit groups to promote community revitalization efforts.
- Assist in coordinating with appropriate agencies to secure funding and resources for property improvement and rehabilitation programs.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Foster positive relationships with community members, local organizations, and businesses to promote collaboration and engagement.
- Assist in conducting public outreach initiatives to educate residents and businesses on community development programs, zoning regulations, and property maintenance standards.
- Attend and participate in public meetings, hearings, and community events to gather feedback, address concerns, and support the municipality’s goals and initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Director to act as a liaison between the municipality and external stakeholders, including developers, consultants, and state/federal agencies.
- A degree in Municipal Planning, GIS, Public Administration or other related field of study.
- Minimum of three years of experience in community development, code enforcement, zoning, or related roles, preferably in a municipal government setting.
- Ability to attain the PADEP Sewage Enforcement Officer certification within one year.
- Ability to attain the PAAZO Certified Zoning Officer certification within 18 months.
- Ability to obtain International Property Maintenance Code Officer certification within one year.
- Desire to obtain International Residential Code certification.
- Consideration may be given to any equivalent combination of education, management, and/or field experience.