The core function of the Urban Planner + Designer is to work in support of the firm’s provision of professional consulting services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients. The Urban Planner + Designer shall work both individually and within the multi-disciplinary structure of the firm, providing technical support to projects. The primary focus will be on community design, including but not limited to: participation and input in the community visioning process, development of community design plans, preparation of concept plans, preparation of community visioning presentations, and supporting graphics. In addition to the strong planning, design, and graphic skills required for this position, candidates shall further support the overall Communications Team regarding community engagement projects and general office activities that include project communication, coordination, file organization and maintenance.
70% – Consulting Services/Technical Support/Project Execution/Creation of Client Deliverables
• Oversee specialized planning projects such as community visioning studies, comprehensive plans, parks and recreation comprehensive and master plans, trails and greenways master plans.
• Assist in the design and modification of plans for a broad range of community developments, site plan projects, and draft plans
• Produce render-quality images for use in visioning and concept planning exercises.
• Actively contribute to community visioning exercises, including precedent research and the sourcing / gathering of precedent images.
• Develop and implement outreach and involvement initiatives in accordance with client’s requirements including working across diverse community and neighborhood settings.
• Record and maintain accurate documentation of public events, publications, and interactions including meeting summaries, attendance, comments, etc.
• Update job knowledge continuously regarding planning, community and urban design and sustainability issues, ideas and methods as well as engagement tools and strategies, and is knowledgeable in current trends, practices, technology, and information affecting the planning profession.
• Attend, facilitate, present, and coordinate logistics, collateral materials, and displays for public or community meetings or forums.
• Plan public outreach initiatives including the development of outreach materials.
• Work collaboratively with planners and GIS analysists on cartography and the creation of mappng products and analysis.
• Technical support to engineering, communications, and business management teams
• Report generation for client deliverables
30% – Business Development
• Support of Business Development/Network Engagement/Marketing/Branding
• Attend various meetings and seminars to look for opportunities to expand the Company’s exposure.
• Identify opportunities to expand Company brand and influence.
• Attend business development events and serve as a “face” of the company to potential clients and contacts.
• All other duties assigned by the director.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Strong knowledge and understanding of various built form typologies and planning documents and related urban design policies.
• High level of proficiency required in: AutoCAD (latest version), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of ESRI GIS software, such as ArcGIS Desktop and extensions, Geoprocessing Tools, and GIS data management; digitizing and data manipulation procedures for GIS.
• Additional proficiencies may include: Sketch-up, other 3D Software, and/or Revit.
• Demonstrated graphic skills – hand drawing and water-colour rendering abilities an asset.
• Must possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate in both verbal and written form.
• Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in planning, urban design, landscape architecture, architecture or similar field.
• 4-6 years’ experience working in community planning, urban design, or closely related field.
• A varied portfolio of project experience, in both the private and public sectors.
• Experience with ESRI technologies (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcObjects), personal geodatabases, and SharePoint is preferred.
Learn more here.