Receives and processes various permit applications at the zoning counter and electronically; checks and reviews applications for supporting documents, sufficiency of information, and compliance with City ordinances; accepts payments for applications; and provides information regarding zoning matters.
Department: City Planning
Salary: $34,495 – $37,705 per year.
Union: This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees. Local 2719 bargaining unit and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Union Bid Form: Not required. Your application for this position will serve as your union Bid Form.
Civil Service Classification: Non-Competitive.
General Application Requirements:
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application will be disqualified. Disqualifications based on any of these General Application Requirements are not subject to a Civil Service appeal.
- A completed online City of Pittsburgh Employment Application, including your online Employment Profile Data. (Education and Work Experience).
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Supplemental Form questions for this position.
A resume, to be submitted online.
- Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator’s License is required to be presented and verified prior to appointment to the position and must be maintained throughout employment. Written requests for a special accommodation on the basis of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act will be considered by the Department of Personnel and Civil Service Commission on an individual basis.
- Notary Public appointment within six (6) months of appointment or promotion.
NOTE: The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts pre-employment and promotional background investigations on all candidates being considered for positions. The background investigation includes but is not limited to criminal background, driver’s license and City of Pittsburgh real estate tax payments. Candidates may be disqualified from consideration from employment based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
NOTE: Candidates being considered for employment will be required to submit official transcripts to verify of their post-secondary education (college/university, trade school, etc.) prior to being hired by the City of Pittsburgh. Transcripts must be submitted at the time of any/each job interview you have with the City of Pittsburgh.
- Receives and processes various zoning and building permit applications (e.g., Occupancy Permit Applications, Sign Permit Applications, Certificate of Zoning Classification and Legality of Use Applications, Fire Escape Permit Applications, Temporary Occupancy Permit Applications, etc.); researches legalities of use and site history and assesses relevant requirements; assists applicants with completing applications by explaining requirements.
- Reviews applications, plot plans, site plans, surveys, landscape plans, grading plans, deeds and recorded documents; evaluates plans relative to City Zoning Code regulations including special districts such as historic, flood plain, landslide prone overlay, undermined overlay, steep slope overlay, etc.; approves applications in accordance with City Zoning Ordinance and established City and departmental policies and procedures.
- Advises supervisor of problems; prepares documentation for Zoning Board of Adjustment appeals and Administrator Exceptions; forwards applications requiring further review to the appropriate planning specialist.
- Provides zoning regulation and permit requirement information to attorneys, developers, architects, real estate personnel, governmental agencies and the general public.
Researches land use matters on properties: e.g. Zoning districts and overlays, historic status, occupancy history and status.
- Maintains records, both manually and by computer, and prepares accurate reports.
Calculates and verifies fees, and accepts payments.
- Performs other related tasks and duties as assigned or required.
- Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required.
Click here to view the full job description including knowledge, skills, and abilities and working conditions for this position. Locate and click on the position title to view the complete job description.
Your City of Pittsburgh application will be reviewed and your work experience and education/training will be evaluated to determine if you meet the qualifying eligibility requirements listed below for this position. You will be sent an eligibility letter regarding your eligible/ineligible status.
WORK EXPERIENCE: The application must clearly show one (1) year of full-time experience in customer service and demonstrate proficient computer skills. The application must also show some experience reviewing, interpreting, and applying complex laws and legal codes and regulations (in zoning, legal, engineering, and planning). (Full-time is defined as 32 hours or more per week. Less than full-time experience will be calculated on a pro-rated basis.)
EDUCATION/TRAINING: The application must clearly show a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Urban Studies, Public Policy, Public Administration, Geography, Sustainability or a related field.
EQUIVALENCY: Education/training may be substituted for work experience on a year for year basis if the application clearly shows the required number of years to meet the Total Qualifying Requirement for this position (based on the sum of work experience and education/training listed above). The Total Qualifying Requirement is five (5) year. (See NOTE under the General Application Requirements Section above regarding the verification of education/training).
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS
If you meet the qualifying requirements listed above, you will be sent a letter of admission (when applicable) for the following examination(s). You must pass the written and/or performance examination(s) in order to have your name placed on the official Civil Service eligibility list for this position. Candidates who receive job offers must pass a medical examination (when applicable) prior to start date.
Written: None required for this position.
Performance: None required for this position.
Medical: None required for this position.