The City of Scranton, a home rule municipality (pop. 77,182) is seeking a full-time qualified Zoning Officer responsible for the administration and enforcement of City of Scranton Zoning Ordinance as well as the review, issuance, and approval of all zoning permits. Excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office products is required. Knowledge of construction practices, the Municipalities Planning Code and International Property Maintenance Code is preferred. Valid Pennsylvania drivers license and High School Diploma or GED is required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in related field is a plus.
- Serves as the City of Scranton Zoning Enforcement Officer.
- Examines building permits and development plans for conformity to municipal codes, application requirements and use permits.
- Reviews and approves or issues Zoning, Use, Sign, and other permits as required.
- Performs initial, on-going, and final inspections of plans and property for conformity to Zoning and other development ordinance requirements.
- Advises contractors and public on the proper processes and practices for compliance with City of Scranton ordinances.
- Consults with the Director, LIPS, City Engineer and City Planner for complaints regarding Violations of City of Scranton Ordinances and Regulations.
- Prepares and presents testimony for court cases.
- Attends all regular meetings of the Zoning Hearing Board, and other meetings when directed to do so.
- Responsible for the proper posting of signs and notices in connection with planning and zoning matters.
- Identify and register non-conforming uses and properties.
- Receives and investigate complaints concerning zoning, property maintenance and other City of Scranton Ordinances.
- Contact property owner and discuss violations and issue citations for violations, when necessary.
- Assists in the administration of Flood Plain and Rental Registration regulations.
- Maintains comprehensive records of applications for permits, permits issued, certificates issued, inspections made, reports rendered, and notices of orders and citations issued.
- Performs other such work as assigned or required.
- Ability to identify problems in the field and recommend solutions.
1) The person shall demonstrate a working knowledge of zoning.
(2) The person shall have one of the following combinations of education and experience:
- (a) A high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of four years’ responsible experience in administering and enforcing municipal zoning and/or subdivision and land development ordinances;
- (b) A high school diploma or equivalent and two additional years of continuing education, such as an associate degree (such continuing education preferably should be in a field such as law enforcement, community planning and/or public administration) and a minimum of two years’ responsible experience in administering and enforcing municipal zoning and/or subdivision and land development ordinances; or
- (c) A college or university bachelor’s degree in a field related to zoning (such as law enforcement, community planning and/or government administration) and a minimum of eight months’ responsible experience in administering and enforcing municipal zoning and/or subdivision and land development ordinances.
(3) The person shall be familiar with constitutional issues concerning search and seizure and with the process of filing actions with the District Justice.
(4) The person shall exhibit an ability to thoroughly evaluate site plans and building plans.
(5) The person shall demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
(6) The person shall be familiar with the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code.
(7) Must possess and maintain a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License.
(8) Be willing and able to use personal vehicle to accomplish any and all job functions.
How to Apply
To be considered, please send or email (PDF format) an application form, resume and cover letter to Human Resources, 340 N Washington Ave., Scranton PA 18503.