STARTING PAY RATE: $27.44 per hour, 40 hours per week
A Zoning Inspector is responsible for investigating complaints and issuing notices of violations. Field inspection duties are conducted independently in accordance with zoning regulations. An employee in this class has authority to request the removal or alteration of conditions which violate
zoning criteria. The Zoning Inspector is responsible for reviewing, assessing and processing zoning permit applications. The Zoning inspector provides information to the public on zoning requirements and may also assist in educating and training departmental staff on zoning requirements. Work is performed independently or in collaboration with other staff, under the direction of the Zoning Administrator and/or Division Manager.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
• Reviews, assesses and processes zoning permit applications; approves or reject applications, and issues detailed review letters.
• Accurately communicates zoning requirements and procedures in writing, on the phone, and in person.
• Assists in representing the City of Reading Zoning office at enforcement hearings.
• Assists the Historic Preservation Specialist and Urban Planner with investigations as needed.
• Prepare case research and reports, post required notices at properties, and provides mailed notices to neighboring property owners, newspapers of record, and others as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in geography, urban planning, and/or closely related experience.
• Ability to type a minimum of 35 WPM accurately.
• Minimum of 1 (one) year of relevant experience in municipal zoning, planning and land development required.
• Minimum 2 – 4 years of municipal zoning, planning and land development experience preferred.
Qualified, interested candidates must submit an employment application and a current resume at www.readingpa.gov under employment opportunities.
Questions – Email email@example.com.