Department: City Planning
Salary: $50,065 – $55,744 per year.
Union: This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, Local 2719 bargaining unit and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Union Bid Form: Not required. Your application for this position will serve as your union Bid Form.
Civil Service Classification: Non-Competitive
- Administers provisions of Zoning Ordinance and processes Zone change proposals and development plan submittals.
- Interprets and assists in administering the provisions of Zoning Ordinance regarding special use matters such as Council conditional use exceptions, Board of Adjustment special exceptions and administrator exceptions.
- Explains appropriate regulations and code requirements to assist developers in the preparation of plans (e.g., site plans, subdivision plans, etc.) and applications (e.g., Conditional Use Application, Occupancy Permit Application, etc).
- Makes reports and recommendations on plans and applications to Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Zoning Administrator and Director of City Planning.
- Attends public meetings and Planning Commission hearings.
- Chairs meetings between local residents and developers.
- Investigates and responds to inquiries and allegations regarding violations of regulations, complaints, etc.
- Chairs Development Review Committee for the Planning Commission as assigned.
- Maintains records, either manually or through automated systems, and prepares accurate reports, correspondence, etc. as requested or required.
- May direct the work of planning interns or lower-level planners on assigned research projects.
- May work evenings and weekends.
- Performs activities and functions of related positions and other related tasks/duties as assigned or required.
Extensive knowledge of: Zoning Ordinance and other relevant laws, rules, regulations and theory of urban planning and design.
Considerable knowledge of: Land use and city planning theory and practices, community economic development theory and practices.
Some knowledge of:
- Community organizations and social service agencies dealing with special populations.
- Site plan review.
- Quantitative analysis and computer applications and software.
- City and departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Investigate and make reports on complaints and allegations regarding violations of regulations.
- Facilitate group discussions in the community.
- Act as liaison to City Departments and local, state and federal governmental agencies.
- Direct the work of assigned planning interns and/or lower-level planners.
- Establish and maintain records and prepare accurate reports, correspondence, etc.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the general public.
- Occasionally 0-20 pounds
- Rarely 21-40 pounds.
Physical Demands – Job Requirements
- Constantly repetitive leg/arm movement, finger movement-fine dexterity, finger movement-coordination, hearing-conversation, seeing-near, speaking clearly.
- Occasionally bending (stooping), pushing, pulling, walking, squatting (crouching), foot or hand control movement, reaching, finger movement-gross movement.
Full-time City employees receive a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Voluntary Deferred Compensation Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation
- Personal Day
I. General Application Requirements:
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application will be disqualified. Disqualifications based on any of these General Application Requirements are not subject to a Civil Service appeal.
- A completed online City of Pittsburgh Employment Application, including your online Employment Profile Data. (Education and Work Experience).
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Supplemental Form questions for this position.
- A resume, to be submitted online.
- Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of filing application or prior to appointment, which must be maintained throughout employment. Written requests for a special accommodation on the basis of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act will be considered by the Department of Personnel and Civil Service Commission on an individual basis.
NOTE: The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts pre-employment and promotional background investigations on all candidates being considered for positions. The background investigation includes but is not limited to criminal background, driver’s license and City of Pittsburgh real estate tax payments. Candidates may be disqualified from consideration from employment based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
NOTE: Candidates being considered for employment will be required to submit official transcripts to verify of their post-secondary education (college/university, trade school, etc.) prior to being hired by the City of Pittsburgh. Transcripts must be submitted at the time of any/each job interview you have with the City of Pittsburgh.
II. Qualifying Requirements:
Your City of Pittsburgh application will be reviewed and your work experience and education/training will be evaluated to determine if you meet the qualifying eligibility requirements listed below for this position. You will be sent an eligibility letter regarding your eligible/ineligible status.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: The application must clearly show two (2) years of full-time planning experience in architecture, urban or community planning/design or a related field. (Full-time is defined as 32 hours or more per week. Less than full-time experience will be calculated on a pro-rated basis.)
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: The application must clearly show a Master’s Degree from a fully accredited institution in Architecture, Urban Planning, Public Administration, Public Policy and Management, Community Organizing or a related field. (See NOTE under the General Application Requirements Section above regarding the verification of education/training).
- EQUIVALENCY: Education/training and/or work experience may be substituted on a year for year basis if the application clearly shows the required number of years to meet the Total Qualifying Requirement for this position (based on the sum of work experience and education/training listed above). The Total Qualifying Requirement is eight (8) years. (See NOTE under the General Application Requirements Section above regarding the verification of education/training).
III. Civil Service Examination(s):
If you meet the qualifying requirements listed above, you will be sent a letter of admission (when applicable) for the following examination(s). You must pass the written and/or performance examination(s) in order to have your name placed on the official Civil Service eligibility list for this position. Candidates who receive job offers must pass a medical examination (when applicable) prior to start date.
- Written: None required for this position.
- Performance: None required for this position.
- Medical: None required for this position.
How to apply: https://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/employmentcenter/MainPage.aspx