Senior Planner is a mid-level planning position involving the analysis of technical data and major project work in the field of city planning and community development. This position is responsible for the relatively independent performance of planning functions or projects requiring various combinations of skill in research, analysis, development, presentation or interpretation of concepts and data pertaining to planning and implementation of plans. Work is performed according to general instructions with considerable latitude for independent initiative and judgment on assigned major projects which are not of a policymaking nature.
View full job description>>
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a four year college or university with a degree in urban planning or related field, preferably possession of a master’s degree in planning or other job-related discipline; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities;
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license as issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of City planning and community development;
- Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information and to prepare technical reports;
- Ability to develop creative approaches to and concepts for planning and community development problems;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, other agencies, other jurisdictions and the general public;
- Ability to evaluate planning proposals;
- Ability to communicate ideas both in writing and orally;
- Knowledge of research methodology and statistical procedures;
- Ability to drive and to walk for several hours at one time to conduct field research;
- Ability to undertake major assignments, such as project administration and monitoring, preparation of legislation or the design of new programs;
- Ability to work with computers; proficient with standard data and word
- Experience in using GIS software such as Arc GIS;
- Good physical condition.