This position will remain open until filled
The Senior Planner is responsible for providing comprehensive planning services to the six municipalities that comprise the Centre Region’s Council of Governments. These planning services may be regional (two or more municipalities) or local (dedicated to one municipality) in scope. This position is responsible for conducting research, preparing data, studies, and reports that support regional planning work priorities and initiatives. The Senior Planner is responsible for improving the quality of life of Centre Region residents through land-use, sewage, water facility, transportation, historic preservation, utility, and environmental planning.
- Compile, analyze, prepare, and report data to advance local and/or regional planning work priorities.
- Provide project management oversight for regional and/or local planning projects.
- Prepare subdivision/land development reviews, rezoning analysis/requests, and zoning map amendments as requested and/or required.
- Prepare memos, data, presentations, and reports on community planning issues and attend municipal, CRPC, and COG meetings to present this information.
- Prepare required administrative data and reports for COG municipalities and CRPA internal tracking and documentation.
- Collect and analyze current planning data and research related to the position.
- Coordinate the preparation and implementation of the Centre Region Comprehensive Plan.
- Coordinate the preparation of the Centre Region Sewage Facilities Plan.
- Provide oversight for the planning and construction of the Beneficial Reuse Project or other projects that may be assigned by the COG or its member municipalities.
- Coordinate the environmental planning efforts including groundwater, surface water, storm water, land use and open space preservation.
- Provide oversight for data collection and analysis reports including: vacant land inventory and analysis, growth forecasting projects, vacant structure inventory, demographic trends, land use survey, well field assessments, and on-lot sewage disposal studies.
- Draft ordinances to regulate land use and other activities at the request of the Region’s municipalities.
- Create zoning and official maps for the Centre Region Council of Governments municipalities.
- Supervise planning interns and practicum students.
- Organize, prepare and present plans, reports, and analyses during working and evening hours to municipal boards, commissions, COG General Forum, Centre Regional Planning Commission, COG Committees, and the public.
- Instruct and coordinate the preparation of maps and graphics, answer phone and walk-in inquiries/requests from the public, developers and/or real estate agents.
- Maintain files for development plans, local and regional planning projects, and community demographic trends.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with major coursework in community, regional, or environmental planning, or a field related to the area of assignment and five years of planning related experience, which must have included two years of project management or supervisory experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
- Minimum four (4) years experience in all phases of community planning.
- Knowledge of land use regulations, project, and program planning.
- Knowledge of research methodologies and data management.
- Knowledge of planning implementation techniques and processes.
- Knowledge of State and Federal planning programs and legislation.
- Membership in the American Planning Association is recommended.
- Membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is recommended.
- Senior Planners who have obtained their AICP will be moved to the Certified Planner pay grade.
Salary: $61,464 to $76,353 – DOQ + Benefits.
Please email resumes to Marcella Bell, Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also mail your resume to Centre Regional Planning Agency, ATTN: Marcella Bell, Office Manager, 2643 Gateway Drive, Suite 4, State College, PA 16801.