BASIC FUNCTION: Assists the staff of Community Services and the Municipal Assistance Program (MAP) in the conduct of municipal assistance work for municipal clients, MAP subscribers, and Brandywine Creek Greenway (BCG) members, and others as directed. Helps with projects and implementation of the BCG. Manages the development of comprehensive plans, regulatory ordinances, and special projects for municipalities, and counties; reviews development plans on behalf of municipalities; and conducts fieldwork and other research.
1. Collaborates with staff team in preparation of long-range planning documents including comprehensive plans, open space, recreation, master plans, trail plans, and environmental resource plans, and park and land management plans.
2. Collaborates with staff team in writing zoning and subdivision and land development ordinances and amendments including regulatory provisions for land use, natural and cultural resource protection, and open space management on behalf of municipal clients.
3. Analyzes land development plans, including the conduct of site visits and field observations, in relation to existing site conditions, natural and cultural resources, and community values, and provides/presents innovative building and site design guidance.
4. Conducts research and analyses for innovative growth management, resource conservation, and watershed protection efforts of the Municipal Assistance Program; presents work both orally and in writing to MAP staff, municipal officials, and other clients.
5. Conducts data research and analysis to inform planning documents and ordinance recommendations (including demographics and climate data).
6. Leads Municipal Assistance projects (budget development and management, contract execution, hiring and managing sub-consultants, schedule, and client management) as assigned.
7. Presents technical material to a variety of audiences including boards, governments, the public, municipal task forces, etc. Frequently facilitates meetings. Comfortable interacting with the public and diverse groups of stakeholders.
8. Assists with the preparation of selected education and outreach materials including articles for organization publications, project description sheets, program notices, and other publications.
9. Writes grant applications on behalf of the Conservancy and/or municipal clients.
10. Collaborates with department staff in preparing materials for request for proposals or partnerships with other firms.
11. Supports other Conservancy staff in the conduct of programs (e.g., historic preservation, land management) on as-needed basis.
12. Serves on internal and external committees as needed and assigned.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s or advanced degree in planning, landscape architecture, environmental science, architecture, or related field.
2. 3-5 years experience in local or regional planning or related field, including long-range or comprehensive planning, environmental planning, recreation, park, or trails planning, and natural or cultural resource protection. Master’s degree may substitute for 2 years of experience.
3. Willingness to devote such time as required to perform assigned functions, including usual work hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and frequent night meetings and occasional weekend work. Frequent travel within Pennsylvania and Delaware and to other places as necessary.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Positive and energetic attitude. Comfort with presenting technical material to a variety of constituent groups. Meeting facilitation experience. Ability to comprehend legal documents and maps. Self motivated.
5. A means of transportation to and from work and to daily work assignments.
6. Ability to lift 30 pounds.
7. Preferred experience or comfort with using GIS, Adobe suite
(InDesign), large document preparation work, and production.
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is required to wear a mask indoors.
Please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to: