JOB SUMMARY: (Role and Mission Summary)
Professional planning position with emphasis on environmental resources and services. Coordinates with departmental staff on current planning and long-range planning initiatives, projects, and technical reviews.
Responsible for the implementation, management and update of the County’s waste management and recycling programs; provides staff support to the Solid Waste Advisory Committee and monitors legislation or actions affecting these programs. Serves as a public education and technical resource for a variety of environmental topics including, but not limited to, Chesapeake Bay protection initiatives, natural resource and land conservation and protection, water and air quality issues, and pollution prevention and abatement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Coordinates with municipalities, adjacent counties and the Department of Environmental Protection, other agencies, and individuals to implement provisions of the waste management plan, develop waste collection contracts and accomplish the goals and tasks required of special planning projects.
2. May enforce ordinances related to the County waste management program, as needed.
3. Develops and prepares grant applications and manages all related environmental grant funded activities.
4. Provides technical expertise for staff, municipalities, and members of the community regarding environmental matters, as needed.
5. Conducts public relations activities and represents the interests and supports the policies of Adams County, the Office of Planning and Development including the Conservation District, particularly those related to environmental resources; to contracted professional, community organizations, municipalities, attorneys, citizens, and others, as needed.
6. Coordinates with municipalities, adjacent counties, state and federal agencies, and public entities to plan and participate in various environmental activities.
7. Assists municipalities, businesses, and individuals with auditing waste streams, developing and managing collection contracts, implementing recycling programs, preparing grant applications, preparing bid packages, addressing questions or complications, and researching issues.
8. Coordinates projects and programs specifically related to the requirements regarding solid waste and recycling designated in the governing legislation, Act 101 of 1988 as amended.
9. Prepares written advisory reviews for conformance with regulations, laws, and site design, etc.
10. Manages and implements assigned planning projects. Collaborates as necessary on other projects related to land use, economic development, natural resource planning, transportation, agricultural, cultural, and historic preservation, open space, solid waste, and water and sewer systems.
11. Addresses complex, inter-related issues associated with large scale, high impact projects, including both private and public-sector initiated proposals.
12. Assists with the environmental features during review and/or development of zoning and other ordinances or planning efforts.
13. May be responsible for the management of specific projects, as assigned with tasks to include:
a. organizing and administering research studies,
b. conducting analyses,
c. preparing reports/recommendations, and
d. determining project schedules and priorities.
14. Reviews project related billing invoices and presents to Director for authorization and payment.
15. Conducts research including review of professional journals, census reports model plans and ordinances from application to planning department goals, objectives, and similar documents.
16. Attends seminars and participates in various training efforts, reads trade publications, and participates in other necessary activities to stay informed of regulations, legislation, technology, policies, and issues affecting waste management, recycling, conservation issues and quality of life in the county
17. Attends and/or serves on various environmentally related organizations/committees as needed which may include; Capital Resource, Conservation and Development Council, South Mountain Partnership, Adams County Chesapeake Bay Local Planning Team, Source Water Protection Planning Committees, Susquehanna and Potomac River Basin Committees, Adams County Food Policy Council, Ag Innovations Steering Committee, Local Emergency Planning Committee, Fruit Growers Association, Southcentral Task Force Agriculture Subcommittee, etc.
18. Works with other county-related departments to facilitate better communications and efficiency
19. Performs other duties that would reasonably fall within the functions of the position as required
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED:
1. USGS Topographic and other maps, and GIS mapping software
2. Various technical reference guides and manuals
3. Desktop and/or laptop computer
4. Strong Microsoft Office skills to include Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Publisher, Outlook
5. Must have experience using Adobe PDF
6. Experience working in virtual meeting environments, specifically Microsoft Teams
7. Department owned motor vehicles
8. Miscellaneous office automation equipment, i.e. – fax, phone, copier, etc.
LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATION(S)
1. Valid Driver’s License
2. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification (eligible)
3. Recycling Certification Preferred
DEADLINE: February 7, 2022