Transportation Work Study Program
- Work with one other selectee under staff supervision in the update of traffic volume and bridge databases and other road characteristics on various state and local routes throughout the City of Reading and Berks County. It includes the installation of traffic counters using a county-owned vehicle, rubber tubing, nails and a nail gun on roadway and in some instances, limited manual counting of vehicles using computerized traffic counting equipment. Orientation and training is provided.
- Work in collaboration with the other selectee on either a GIS or planning project that provides the applicant career-related or academically relevant experience and work product.
The work period is 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday; generally between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Selected individuals will have the opportunity to attend various meetings (Planning Commission, MPO) conducted at the Planning Commission offices. While the transportation program is the primary area of work, selected applicants will interact with staff members in other areas.
- A high level of individual responsibility is expected and self-motivation should be evident. Must be comfortable with working with coworkers to complete tasks and be willing to listen and take direction. Must frequently lift and/or move up to 30+ pounds of traffic counting equipment. The selectee must feel comfortable working in traffic in outdoor summer conditions, with ability to perform physical labor in those conditions. Knowledge of Berks County geography is preferred but not required. A valid driver’s license and safe driving record are required.
- The program will begin on or around Wednesday, May 15, 2019 depending on the successful applicants’ schedules and will be for a 12-week period. This duration may be extended based on the office’s workload and the selected applicant’s schedule and academic credit requirements.
- This is a paid position ($11.50/hour). It is considered part time/temporary, and includes no benefits.
To apply, candidates should send cover letters and resumes to:
Devon Hain, Transportation Planner II
Berks County Planning Commission
633 Court Street, 14th Floor
Reading, PA 19601
Telephone – (610) 478-6300, Extension 6308
Fax – (610) 478-6316
Hardcopy resumes are gladly accepted; however, electronic submission of resumes is preferred. The positions are open until filled. Review of applicants will begin Monday, February 4, 2019.