The U.S. Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities stresses the importance of physical activity for people of all ages and abilities. It calls on Americans to be more physically active through walking and for all of us to support walking and walkability as a strategy to promote optimal health. Further, the Pennsylvania State Health Improvement Plan (SHIP) 2015-20 identiﬁes its number one priority as obesity, physical inactivity and nutrition.
WalkWorks, a collaboration of the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the University of Pittsburgh, aims to increase opportunities for physical activity through fun, fact-ﬁlled walking routes and sustainable walking groups in communities across Pennsylvania. As the program is in its fifth year, WalkWorks is excited to expand its network of 89 routes in 21 counties by adding a limited number of new communities! WalkWorks is seeking organizations with interests in improving the health status of their communities.
Selected organizations will be asked to:
- Identify an appealing walking route of one to two miles, including points of interest;
- Engage community stakeholders to ensure route meets residents’ preferences;
- Collaborate with community organizations to optimize sustainable walking group(s);
- Organize a kick-oﬀ celebration for the route; and
- Support local changes to policies and plans pertaining to active transportation.
Selected organizations will receive:
- Technical assistance with route selection;
- Guidance for creating sustainable walking groups and identifying walking group leaders;
- The opportunity to learn from the experience of partners and aﬃliates already engaged in the program;
- Promotional materials and signage for your walking route(s); and
- Network emails and invitations to webinars.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the needs of the communities they serve, as well as their ability to implement and sustain the program to ensure lasting impact. Examples of eligible candidates are non-profit organizations and municipal entities.
Click here to download the application
The application must be completed and returned to
no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 12, 2019.